The Community

Earliest known records of a community service organization in the Lyons area date back to 1898.  One journal has been found containing the minutes of Post NO 76 of The Independent Order of Good Templars-Grand Lodge beginning on August 5, 1898 with 36 members present.  It appears that the group composed of “brothers” and “sisters” met weekly following Roberts Rules of Order, and included a program of songs and readings with dues of ten cents per meeting.  The group had zero tolerance for alcohol and reprimanded and counseled those who went astray. An entry of October 14, 1898 reported there would be an Anniversary Open House on the 15th in which oysters and corn would be served. A poor collection for the widows and orphans of Africa was taken and the secretary received sixty-five cents.  The last entry in the journal was April 2, 1904, with 6 members present.